Brown Dog

Brown Dog
Big and Brown

Friday, December 31, 2010

Lawn Mower vs Cane Toad - Today

You may recall that I quite like to mow the lawn, I find it a bit therapeutic.  Except I don't mow when the grass is wet.  And for the past few weeks all it has done is rain and rain and rain and rain.  Except the rain stopped 2.5 days ago.  So this morning I thought that the grass would be dry enough to mow.


It wasn't.......


As soon as I started I knew I might be in a bit of trouble.  I thought I might come across worms. Slimy squirmy evil worms that might be basking at the base of the wet grass.  I was right there were some worms, but the job needed doing so as I mowed I watched were I stepped and jumped around any worms the mower had disturbed or cut in half.  


Trying to mow a tropical rainforest is bad enough, but when it's wet and worms are involved it is not so great.  I wasn't finding any therapy in mowing today.  Whenever I mow I have a routine, the routine is this: 


Mow the back yard
Mow the side yard
Mow the pool yard
Mow the front yard
Simple and it normally works quite well.  


This is what happened today.........


I mowed the back yard and it looked great.  I had to empty the catcher approximately every couple of metres, but it was looking nice again. I was motivated to keep on mowing.  Then I started on the side yard.  That's when it all turned bad. 


Suddenly I heard an almighty CRUNCH  


I've heard crunches before when mowing, and crunches sometimes scare me.  Mostly because of the unexpected crunch sound.  When I've heard crunches in the past it is mostly due to hitting a rock or a leftover Brown bone or a stray clothes peg.  But this crunch was different. This was a mammoth crunch of mass proportions.  


Less than a second after the mammoth crunch of mass proportions a projectile shot out from under the mower. This had never happened before.  The projectile landed near my foot.  Not on my foot thankfully because I probably would have passed out from grossness. At first I thought I must have run over a Brown toy, maybe a tennis ball or squeaky toy.  It took me exactly 1.19 seconds to realise that this wasn't the case.  I jumped back from the projectile and squealed like a girl.  I turned off the mower and squealed again and said something similar to "what the hell is that?"


You see at the same time I was mowing my side yard my neighbour was also mowing his back yard.  Actually it wasn't my neighbour, but his dad.  At the time I squealed and swore he came over to see what was going on.  He had one look and said something similar to "you've just run over a cane toad love, looks like you did a good job on him to".  This is when I gagged and nearly barfed. Upon closer inspection from quite a distance I could see that indeed I did run over and mangle a cane toad.  A very dead cane toad at that.


After doing a bit of a prance around being completely grossed out I wondered what to do next.  Clearly I couldn't leave a dead mangled cane toad in my side yard.  My neighbours dad was having a good old chuckle at me doing my prance.  I wasn't laughing though.  Thankfully he came to my aid.  I got my shovel and he scooped it up and dug it into my garden for me.  I asked him where it came from he said they love to live in long grass.  They dig a hole and sit there doing their cane toad thing.


He then handed me back my shovel and said "keep it handy incase you run over another one, if there is one there are probably more".  SHIT!  That was it.  I was done with mowing my side yard.  I continued to mow the pool yard and the front yard.  But the side yard didn't get finished.  So I now need someone to mow the rest of my side yard because there is no way in hell I'm going anywhere near it!


And I'm pretty sure from now on I am not going to enjoy mowing so much anymore.....

No comments:

Post a Comment